Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Plein Air and Alla Prima

This photo shows two paintings.  The painting on the left is my first venture into the world of Plein Air painting.  The scene is of a shed in my back yard.  The wisteria was just about finished but still was colorful.  I cannot hold the pallet so I lay it in the drawer of the easel.  Well, the wind was quite strong that day and my pallet was blown into the grass.  I picked the grass out of the paint and finished the painting.

The painting on the right is my second painting for an alla prima class.  In the alla prima class a still life was erected and we were expected to finish the painting in three hours.  I usually was finished in two to two and a hlf hours.  Fun class!  I have decided to take the class in July when it is offered again.  I just hope there are enough people out there that want to take it as well so the class will be held!

These paintings were both painted in April or May 2011.  The Plein Air is 8x10 and the alla prima is 9x12.  They are both painted on stretched canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment