Monday, August 15, 2011

Water poppy with dragonfly


I discovered a water poppy bloom had opened this morning in the pond.  So I got my trusty french easel and paints out and painted it.  I used one of my new hardboard panels.  My husband had a large sheet of hardboard plywood left over from a furniture project.  I asked him if I could use the remainder for inexpensive plein air painting panels.  I don't want a repeat of the horse barn painting.  He cut about eight 9x12s, and two 12x16s.  I have gessoed most of them and I toned two of the panels with a coat of acrylic paint.  One was yellow ochre and one was yellow ochre with a touch of cad. red.  I used the toned 9x12 yellow ochre panel for this painting.  This is the first time I have used a toned surface.  There are no little white spots showing through!   I spent a little over an hour on this painting.  Dragonflies kept flying back and forth so I included one in the painting.  It was a nice day!  I cannot seem to get a decent photo of the painting though.  Maybe I need to take a photography class.

2 comments: